Wednesday, July 26, 2017



EcoTourism in Brookhaven Town


EcoTourism in Brookhaven Town







Town of Brookhaven
One Independence Hill
Farmingville, NY 11738
Visit Town Web Site
Email Us

When the English settlers arrived in the Town of Brookhaven on the North shore in 1655, they found that the first residents of the area were Algonkian-speaking Native Americans, the Setalcotts (or Setaukets), and the Unkechaugs. The six men, land agents, purchased eight square miles stretching from Stony Brook to Port Jefferson in exchange for tools, wampum, lead, powder and "1 pair of children's stockings." The first settlement was named after the native Americans it was purchased from: Setauket. 

More land purchases followed over the years, and in 1666, after Long Island became a part of the Colony of New York, Governor Richard Nicholl granted a Patent, which fixed the name of Brookhaven, confirmed title to the lands already purchased, and allowed for additional purchases. In 1686, Governor Thomas Dongan issued a Patent which granted extensive powers to the Town, and established a representative form of government. The Town boundaries were complete, and today, those divisions coincide almost exactly with the tribal lands of the original two groups or “tribes.”

As early Brookhaven was settled, residents were engaged in farming, fishing and whaling. By the nineteenth century, the shipbuilding and cordword industries became important as well. 

The advent of the Long Island Railroad in the mid-nineteenth century through the Town of Brookhaven made travel and transport of goods and materials easier and faster. The history of the United States of America includes many residents of the Town of Brookhaven. William Floyd of Mastic was a signer of the Declaration of Independence; General George Washington relied on information supplied by a spy ring, which operated out of Setauket, during the War for American Independence; and Camp Upton in Yaphank was used during World War I and World War II as a training area for soldiers. The Town of Brookhaven has seen its residents represent our country in every major conflict. 

The twentieth century witnessed the Town of Brookhaven expand from an agrarian community to a leader in communications, technology, and education. Home now to Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Stony Brook University and Health Sciences Center, Brookhaven stands proudly at the forefront of the world's leading research fields, while its 480,000 residents can still appreciate its natural resources and beauty that brought the original settlers over 350 years ago.

The Town of Brookhaven includes 15 Historic Districts:
  • Stony Brook
  • Old Setauket
  • East Setauket
  • Mount Sinai
  • Miller Place
  • Longwood
  • Yaphank
  • Fireplace (Brookhaven Hamlet)
  • Old Mastic
  • Moriches
  • Center Moriches
  • East Moriches
  • Eastport
  • Bethel Christian Avenue Laurel Hill
  • Terryville Road
  • Dyers Neck
Designated as areas of historic importance, they include many historic landmarks.  A list of New York State and National Landmarks in Brookhaven can be accessed by clicking here, or call the Town Historian, Barbara M. Russell at 631-451-8038
 
Brookhaven’s commitment to preserving its historical heritage is evidenced by its impressive list of land marked properties:
  • 46 Town Landmarks
  • 23 New York State Register listings
  • 33 National Register listings
  • 1 National Historic Landmark